The current area of Town Hall Square experienced considerable change from the beginning, due to the presence of the harbor and the Castle. Since its origins, the Town Hall Square was made up of two large roads: the Dock street and the Castle Square.
Since a few years in the underground of Town Hall Square there are some works in progress for the new subway.
The discovery of intact ships and numerous archaeological finds made it possible to establish with certainty the definition of this old harbor area in the city. It was possible to identify the ancient port between the original settlement of Palepolis and the one of Neapolis .
In the seventh century the harbor, after an earthquake, became a swamp and was covered by the construction of a new road. It must be said that today the Square has almost completely lost the characteristics mentioned in the literary chronicles by Salvatore Di Giacomo: enchanted place, bustling and popular. The wide square in front of the Castle has always played a primary role in the city. The guides describe it as early as 1500, among the main town squares.
The stratification in the Castle Square is expressed in a symbolic way as it was home fort the governing power.
The final configuration of this square will only happen in 1800, with the restructuring and the liberation of the Castle following the restoration works in 1884.
The Castle, at first residence of the Angevins: 1266-1442; of the Aragons: 1442-1503; of the Spanish Vice-kings: 1503-1707, underwent restoration works in the late nineteenth century, finished in the thirties of the twentieth century.
The Castle liberation intervention, with the reconstruction of the towers system, led the castle to be a symbolic image of the city .
During the Fascist period and from 1950 a new road system was established – the New Seaside Street – and interventions were executed leading to the definition of city on the habour, with a compulsory traffic junction just represented by Town Hall Square. Originally the area was made up of a naturally area within the city walls and the hill of Pizzofalcone .
Charles I of Anjou in 1279 decided to build a new fortress to use as a Royal residence instead of Capuano Castle – Norman residence built a century earlier.
The New Castle was initially rectangular in plan with several towers, of this initial structure only the Palatine Chapel still remains.
In this same period the pier was built and the arsenal was moved from the east nearer to the Castle along the coast, the trade area shifted from San Gaetano Square to the Market Square.
The Angevin Castle was built on the site of the church of St. Mary ad Palatinium and around this spot more residential constructions developed. In the area close to the Castle in a short period administrative structures were built as well as homes of the Court officials.
City Hall Square and the Castle Square knew major changes during the Aragon period, thanks to the renovation project -1442 – of Alfonso of Aragon.
The New Castle was almost totally rebuilt and adapted to new defensive systems, towers assumed a circular and massive form, the triumphal arch was built, a marble entrance between two towers, a testimony of Renaissance Art in Naples.